Health Dangers Of Having Mold Growth in Home. The health dangers of mold growth in the home are many, with symptoms ranging from mild to life-threatening depending on the type of mold and how much damage has occurred. Mold spores as small as 1/10 of an inch can cause respiratory problems, wheezing, and itchy eyes for people with health conditions.
To prevent these symptoms, individuals should be sure to thoroughly clean or remove all evidence of this type of fungus when possible; however, if this is not possible or safe to do, the best thing is prevention.
At first, respiratory symptoms of mold are difficult to detect and the severity varies from mild to moderate. At first, it is recommended that individuals in homes with visible mold growth NOT disturb the mold because they may experience: coughing, cracking while breathing, and runny noses.
The severity of symptoms increases as the compound increases in concentration and becomes airborne due to other factors such as humidity or temperature.
Another symptom of mold is wheezing, a serious health hazard that usually relates to asthma. When an individual at home ends up in the hospital, the reason is usually due to wheezing and it can be caused by a range of health conditions including asthma. Fast breathing, shortness of breath, coughing, and dry throat are signs of immediate respiratory problems.
Mold is known to cause inflammation in the lungs, causing them to swell. When this happens over long periods it can cause an increase in wheezing and chronic breathing problems. The inflammation eventually overwhelms the body and begins to irritate the individual. The color of mucus is also a sign of lung irritation.
The combination of these symptoms makes it harder for the individual to breathe, which is the whole purpose of the lungs. Irritation can also lead to other health problems like bronchitis and pneumonia, which is more severe than simple respiratory problems.
Mold spores can cause people to be more susceptible to cancer. The evidence of this is seen in the National Cancer Institute’s study of workers exposed to toxic mold which found that those most exposed had a higher rate of lung tumors. This means that even casual exposure can cause lung cancer. Standing or sitting in an area where mold is present is a risk factor for developing bronchitis and pneumonia.
Allergic reactions are another major health hazard of mold growth in the home, affecting as many as one in five individuals exposed to mold. Symptoms include a runny nose, eye irritation, and skin irritation for individuals who have allergies or asthma.
Individuals should also recognize that if they have allergies and mold is present it will only make their symptoms worse because the immune system is weakened. Once the immune system is weakened from allergic reactions it is harder to fight off respiratory infections or diseases associated with mold.
Infants and children are particularly at risk of developing an illness after exposure to mold because they are still growing and developing. This is why parents must recognize mold growth in the home and make sure that precautions are taken to prevent young children from inhaling the spores.
It can also cause long-term health effects for infants including rashes, swollen eyelids, difficulty breathing, wheezing, persistent coughing or dry coughs, hives, or wheezing. These symptoms should be taken seriously because they can lead to larger problems down the line such as cancer if not treated appropriately.
The immune system is also weakened when exposed to mold and can cause a range of other health problems including asthma. This makes it harder for individuals to fight off infections and diseases such as colds, flu, or Lyme disease. Individuals must get annual respiratory check-ups because the immune system is weakened over time.
The cognitive abilities of children are also impaired after being exposed to mold spores in the home. The reason for this is that the immune system becomes “skittish” which causes it to constantly produce antibodies to counteract and protect itself from further exposure. This is known as an allergy and it is seen more often with mold exposure.
Patients who have chronic allergies, asthma, or other respiratory disorders are often more prone to cognitive dysfunction such as fogginess, lack of concentration, and trouble remembering words.
If a person lives with mold in their home they should recognize that their cognitive function may be compromised so they can take precautionary measures and think twice before purchasing furniture or decorative items like vases.
Once exposed to mold spores the immune system is weakened over time, which causes white blood cells responsible for fighting off infections to decrease in number. This is dangerous because the body is unable to fight off viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms that can cause disease.
It is also dangerous because once white blood cells are depleted it makes the body susceptible to other types of infections and diseases. If a person living in a mold-infested area has reduced white blood cell numbers they will be more at risk of getting respiratory infections, pneumonia, strep throat, sinus infections, and more.
Mold is thought to increase the risk of developing certain types of conditions. These include autism, asthma, and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). CFS is also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), which is a neuroimmune disease that results in fatigue, headaches, and muscle pain.
The reason for this is that mold exposure affects the immune system’s ability to fight off infections and diseases. This results in increased health problems for individuals exposed to mold, making it harder for them to fight off infections and diseases.
Mold exposure also has serious effects on cognition because the immune system is weakened which produces cognitive issues down the road such as ADHD, depression, and anxiety disorders. It is hard to pinpoint the cause of these disorders, but it is most likely due to the long-term effects of mold exposure. These long-term effects are not diseases in themselves, but they do cause cognitive impairment.
Mold can have many adverse effects on a person or their family. Individuals need to be aware of the negative health effects that mold has on humans and take precautions to reduce the possibility of exposure or a health problem.